Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Clay Turns Three Months!

I think Clay's three month old picture represents this past month perfectly... time is flying by!  I feel like he grew and changed so much in the past month.


In all honesty: It was a month of highs and lows for this mama as we were working on getting Clay into a routine that worked for all of us!  (I am sure all the mamas out there can relate!)  His night time sleep improved dramatically in the past four weeks moving from getting up every 2 1/2 hours to only one night time feed.  Yeah Clay!  (And thank you for the extra sleep!)  His napping was the major issue... something Corey and I would strategize about for hours and then re-strategize the next day.  (And when the day came where Corey got home at 5:30 and I hadn't eaten or gone to the bathroom because it was a day when he just wouldn't let me put him down-- I knew something had to change.)  And I know that each mama does things differently and has strong opinions about baby sleep and I am not one for a debate about the issue (to each their own)... but for us... Sleep training was in order!  

 

And to our amazement... it was just what Clay needed.  We went from rocking and bouncing this baby for 20-minutes to an hour (or longer) just to get him to sleep-- every nap time, every 2 1/2 hours... to now, 5 minutes of cuddling and in the crib he goes.  And he slept... and he sleeps.  Wow!  I called Corey, I couldn't believe it!  So proud of that little man.  Not to say we don't still have to work at it and believe me--we all have our moments, but what a difference a couple of weeks has made!!


And I am so glad because I am starting to go back to work part-time for Fairen Del as a fashion photographer, graphic designer and blogger.  (Thank God I have the best boss ever... she is flexible, understanding, lets me work from home and gives me to coolest projects to work on!)  I am a lucky girl!


Looking back, there have been so many highlights!!  Truth be told, I have never made so many contorted facial expressions as I have in the past four weeks.  And you would too when you see Clay giggle and squeal in delight!  He smiled and smiled and smiles still at every little funny face.  His cooing went from coos to all out baby conversations full of gooooo and babbles and the "man talk" that Corey calls their grunts and sounds (similar to that of Tim the Tool Man Taylor from Home Improvement.)  In the past week he has added bubbles to the end of his squeals.  That's right... I have my own bubble machine in the making.  But you can only see them for a moment before he sucks them right back into his mouth or spits them right down his chin.  And I know that some babies don't drool too much and others do.  Well, I am predicting that I will have a drool baby!  I can just see it coming... he will be wearing a bib 24/7.


Everything really caught Clay's eye this month.  The thing that makes him the happiest... makes his daddy shake his head.  Clay has a mobile above his crib (that is at the other end of where he sleeps because it makes him the opposite of sleepy) and it is safe to say... the mobile creates instant happiness.  Tears?  Crying?  Putting him under that mobile will cause him to squeal and thrash his arms and legs about in seconds.  I am thinking, "Great... he loves his little sports: baseball, football, basketball..."  But Corey noticed, he only watches the soccer ball!  Soccer!!  We know nothing about soccer!  It makes us laugh... Corey's dad thought we could change that soccer ball into a golf ball!  But, I am reassuring the boys that it is just the black and white contrast... it doesn't mean that he prefers soccer.  (Disclaimer: Please realize, as parents that if our son makes the choice to play soccer, we will support that.  We don't mean to offend soccer players.)


In the mornings when I go to get him, I realize he is 100% broken out of his swaddle (or straight jacket as we call it), he has moved two feet towards the mobile... and when he sees me... he gets the biggest grin and giggles.  I think he thinks its funny that he has outsmarted us all!  But, what a joy to wake up to each morning!  


Oh... Clay!  Your mama and daddy love you very much!  We can't wait to see what this next month will bring!  Lots of new exciting things on the horizon!  

~Leslie (Mama)


       

No comments:

Post a Comment